Header Ads

Breaking News

Newcastle critical of Premier League and 'considering all options' after failed takeover


Breaking news

Newcastle United say they are “considering all relevant options” after claiming the Premier League did not act “appropriately” in its handling of a failed takeover by a Saudi Arabian-backed consortium.

The league wanted clarification of the links between PIF and the Saudi state.

But on Wednesday, Newcastle said the Premier League had rejected the bid.

“[Owner] Mike Ashley understands fans’ frustrations,” the club said, adding the rejection had been based on the Premier League’s owners’ and directors’ test.

The consortium, which also included PCP Capital Partners and Reuben Brothers, had agreed a £300m deal to buy the club from Ashley in April.

In a statement, Newcastle added: “The club and its owners do not accept that Premier League chief executive Richard Masters and the Premier League have acted appropriately in relation to this matter and will be considering all relevant options available to them.

“This conclusion has been reached despite the club providing the Premier League with overwhelming evidence and legal opinions that PIF is independent and autonomous of the Saudi Arabian government.”

BBC Sport has contacted the Premier League for comment.

Speaking to BBC Sport earlier on Wednesday, Masters said he had “sympathy” for Magpies fans because of the lack of information they received.

“I think there is a reasonable expectation on all the parties involved for confidentiality, I think that’s what we were trying to respect,” said Masters.

Masters also said the Premier League would “look again” at the “issues and specifics” of its owners’ and directors’ test.

More to follow

Source link

No comments