Header Ads

Breaking News

Overnight Defense: US, Russia trade blame over Syria incident | Pentagon calls out China's 'counterproductive' military exercises, missile test | Democrats press Esper on COVID-19 response


Happy Thursday and welcome to Overnight Defense. I’m Rebecca Kheel, and here’s your nightly guide to the latest developments at the Pentagon, on Capitol Hill and beyond. 

CLICK HERE to subscribe to the newsletter.

 

THE TOPLINE: The United States and Russia are trading blame for this week’s  armored vehicle showdown in Syria that injured U.S. troops.

In its first official statement on the issue, the Pentagon on Thursday said Russia engaged in “deliberately provocative and aggressive behavior” when a Russian military vehicle collided with a U.S. military vehicle, injuring the U.S. troops.

“On Tuesday, Russian forces breached our deconfliction arrangement in Syria and injured U.S. service members with their deliberately provocative and aggressive behavior,” chief Pentagon spokesman Jonathan Hoffman said in the statement.

“We have advised the Russians that their behavior was dangerous and unacceptable,” he added. “We expect a return to routine and professional deconfliction in Syria and reserve the right to defend our forces vigorously whenever their safety is put at risk.”

Hoffman also praised the U.S. troops for their professionalism.

“We commend our personnel on the ground for de-escalating this unfortunate encounter through professionalism and restraint, which are hallmarks of the U.S. military,” he said.

Russia’s story: Earlier Thursday, officials in Russia said it was the U.S. military that was to blame for the confrontation.

Russia’s Defense Ministry said in a statement that Chief of the General Staff Gen. Valery Gerasimov told U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Gen. Mark Milley in a call this week that the Russians notified the U.S.-led military coalition in Syria about the patrol in advance in accordance with the deconfliction agreement.

But, the ministry said Gerasimov told Milley that U.S. troops tried to block the patrol which “took every step necessary to prevent the incident and proceed with its mission.”

Milley’s office announced the call Wednesday, but said the pair agreed not to disclose the contents “in accordance with past practice.”

Reminder: The injuries first came to light Wednesday with a Politico report.

In an unusual move, it was the National Security Council, not the Pentagon, that then confirmed the incident later Wednesday.

During a routine patrol of the U.S.-led anti-ISIS coalition Tuesday morning in northeast Syria, a Russian military vehicle hit a coalition armored vehicle, injuring the crew, National Security Council spokesman John Ullyot said in Wednesday’s statement.

The situation was de-escalated when the U.S.-led coalition patrol left the area, Ullyot said.

 

PENTAGON CALLS OUT CHINA, TOO: The Pentagon didn’t just have stern words for Russia on Thursday.

It also issued a statement expressing concerns about Chinese military exercises in the South China Sea that included a ballistic missile test.

“Conducting military exercises over disputed territory in the South China Sea is counterproductive to easing tensions and maintaining stability,” the Defense Department said in a statement.

China’s “actions, including missile tests, further destabilize the situation in the South China Sea,” the statement added.

The Pentagon also said the action violates China’s 2002 commitment to “avoid activities that would complicate or escalate disputes and affect peace and stability.”

China’s story: A spokesman for the Chinese Ministry of National Defense said during a briefing in Beijing that the country had conducted previously planned drills but did not mention the missile launches.

The spokesman said that the exercises “are not directed at any country.”

 

SENATORS PRESS ESPER ON COVID RESPONSE: A group of Senate Democrats is reviving its concerns about the Pentagon’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic, citing a spike in cases in July.

In a letter to Defense Secretary Mark Esper, the nine senators called reports of a rise in cases among service members “concerning.”

“We are pleased to see that the department is taking some precautionary measures to address the spread of the virus, but are concerned that the department is still not properly prioritizing the health and well-being of our service members,” they wrote in the letter, dated Wednesday.

The senators specifically highlighted that the number of COVID-19 cases connected to the Pentagon grew by more than 21,000 in July, a more than 100 percent increase.

The letter was organized by Sen. Elizabeth WarrenElizabeth WarrenNadler, Maloney endorse Markey in Senate primary Business world braces for blue sweep Trump claims Democrats ‘using COVID to steal an election’ MORE (D-Mass.) and co-signed by Democratic Sens. Mazie HironoMazie Keiko HironoSenate Democrats demand answers on migrant child trafficking during pandemic Overnight Defense: Guardsman to testify Lafayette Square clearing was ‘unprovoked escalation’ | Dems push for controversial Pentagon nominee to withdraw | Watchdog says Pentagon not considering climate change risks to contractors Democrats urge controversial Pentagon policy nominee to withdraw MORE (Hawaii), Patty MurrayPatricia (Patty) Lynn MurrayPelosi huddles with chairmen on surprise billing but deal elusive House approves two child care bills aimed at pandemic GOP, Democratic relief packages B apart on vaccine funding MORE (Wash.), Richard Blumenthal (Conn.), Jeff MerkleyJeffrey (Jeff) Alan MerkleyFilibuster fight looms if Democrats retake Senate Senate Democrats demand answers on migrant child trafficking during pandemic Hillicon Valley: NSA warns of new security threats | Teen accused of Twitter hack pleads not guilty | Experts warn of mail-in voting misinformation MORE (Ore.), Sherrod BrownSherrod Campbell BrownOn The Money: Fed officials saw recovery slowing, virus threat growing | Trump urges boycott of Goodyear tires, prompts backlash | Analysis blames monopoly power for income inequality Sherrod Brown blasts Trump’s ‘despicable’ call for Goodyear boycott What Trump’s orders will and won’t do for payroll taxes, unemployment benefits MORE (Ohio), Ron WydenRonald (Ron) Lee WydenTrump payroll plan would deplete Social Security by 2023: Administrator Five takeaways from final Senate Intel Russia report Wyden: FBI didn’t share information related to GOP Obama-era probe with Democrats MORE (Ore.), Amy KlobucharAmy KlobucharBiden says he felt no pressure to choose a Black woman as running mate Buttigieg says differences between Biden and Trump are ‘almost punching us in the face’ Biden unites Democrats — for now MORE (Minn.) and Ed MarkeyEdward (Ed) John MarkeyThe Hill’s Convention Report: Mike and Karen Pence set to headline third night of convention Nadler, Maloney endorse Markey in Senate primary Markey widens lead to 12 points in Massachusetts Senate race: poll MORE (Mass.).

Background: The latest letter follows one sent in April by the same group of senators including Sen. Kamala HarrisKamala HarrisGOP sticks to convention message amid uproar over Blake shooting Police group leader calls Biden-Harris ‘most radical anti-police ticket in history’ Latino Victory to boost Alex Padilla to fill Harris’s potential Senate seat MORE (D-Calif.), who has since become the Democratic vice presidential nominee. The April letter sparked a fierce response by the Pentagon.

In the April letter, the senators expressed “grave concern” with how the Pentagon was handling the pandemic, citing incidents such as the outbreak aboard the USS Theodore Roosevelt aircraft carrier and images of Marines standing close together in long lines without face masks to get haircuts to comply with grooming standards.

Pentagon response: The April letter elicited a six-paragraph statement from the Pentagon’s chief spokesman, a rebuke from Esper during a Pentagon press briefing and a letter from Esper to Senate Armed Services Committee Chairman James InhofeJames (Jim) Mountain InhofeLincoln Project expands GOP target list, winning Trump ire Trump’s contempt for advice and consent Senate GOP divided over whether they’d fill Supreme Court vacancy  MORE (R-Okla.).

The Pentagon, though, says it is not publicly commenting on the newest letter.

“As with all congressional correspondence, we will respond directly to the authors of the letter,” Pentagon spokesperson Jessica Maxwell told The Hill on Thursday.

Most recent stats: As of Wednesday, the Pentagon has reported a total of 53,033 coronavirus cases connected to the department, including 36,600 cases in the military.

The Pentagon updates its online chart of coronavirus case counts every Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

The cumulative cases also include 8,058 civilians, 4,882 dependents and 3,493 contractors.

There have been a total of 80 deaths reported across the department due to the disease, including six service members. There have also been 50 civilian deaths, seven dependent deaths and 17 contractor deaths.

ON TAP FOR TOMORROW

Army Chief of Staff Gen. James McConville gives a keynote speech to the virtual National Guard Association of the United States General Conference at 4 p.m. https://bit.ly/3hAmeFB

ICYMI

— The Hill: US Embassy defends Canada after Navarro slams country’s military service in book

— The Hill: Officials investigate sailor for arson in Navy warship fire in July: report

— The Hill: Opinion: Putin demonstrates his ruthlessness — and America should pay attention

— Stars and Stripes: More states sending National Guard troops to Wisconsin after week of upheaval

— Associated Press: Esper visit to tiny Palau highlights US-China competition



Source link

No comments