Header Ads

Breaking News

Coronavirus: Gov. Mike Dewine closes gyms, recreation centers, moves to extend election until June - News - The Columbus Dispatch


Gov. Mike DeWine will provide an update on the coronavirus in Ohio this afternoon.

Gov. Mike DeWine said the state health director will issue a slew of new orders Monday with regard to public gathering places.

DeWine is recommending that voting be extended through June 2 for Ohio’s primary and to stop in person voting today and tomorrow.

DeWine said he does not have the power as governor to delay the primary election day himself. But, he said he is recommending that in-person voting take place on June 2 and will seek to do so through a lawsuit.

“We should not force (voters) to make this choice, the choice between their health and their constitutional rights and duties as American citizens,” DeWine said.

The state will order fitness centers and gyms, bowling alleys, public recreation centers, movie theaters, water parks and trampoline parks to close at close of business today.

The state will also limit gatherings to less than 50 people, in accordance with guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, DeWine said.

There are 50 Ohioans who have been diagnosed with the coronavirus, the state reported Monday.

At least three of those 50 cases are in Franklin County. Cases are in 12 different counties in Ohio and 14 people have been hospitalized with COVID-19, according to the state.

The number of cases in Ohio has jumped from just a few last week.

Here is the breakdown of counties with confirmed #COVID19 cases in #Ohio. pic.twitter.com/AF9KRJ6HP5

— Governor Mike DeWine (@GovMikeDeWine) March 16, 2020

>> This story is being provided free as a public service to our readers during the coronavirus outbreak. You can find all our stories on coronavirus here. Please support local journalism by subscribing to The Columbus Dispatch at subscribe.dispatch.com.

DeWine ordered all bars and restaurants to close at 9 p.m. Sunday. Take-out, drive-through and delivery food options can continue, the governor said.

mfilby@dispatch.com

@MaxFilby



Source link

No comments