Header Ads

Breaking News

Trump extends emergency declaration at border


President TrumpDonald John TrumpBiden assures supporters the primary is still ‘wide open’ in lengthy phone call: report Warren: We are watching a descent into authoritarianism Collins: Trump ‘angered by impeachment’ MORE on Thursday renewed a state of emergency he declared on the Southern border, which he has used to reprogram billions of dollars to building his border wall.

“The ongoing border security and humanitarian crisis at the southern border of the United States continues to threaten our national security, including the security of the American people,” he wrote in a notice to Congress.

“The executive branch has taken steps to address the crisis, but further action is needed to address the humanitarian crisis and to control unlawful migration and the flow of narcotics and criminals across the southern border of the United States,” he continued.

Trump officially declared the emergency on Feb. 15 last year after a five-week government shutdown — the longest in the nation’s history — failed to convince Congress to fund the wall to his satisfaction.

The emergency powers allowed Trump to reprogram funds from military construction and other defense funds, but were set to expire on Saturday. Trump’s notice will extend the powers for another year.

The notice comes just hours after reports surfaced that Trump was moving an additional $3.8 billion in defense funds toward building the wall. Those funds came from aircraft, ship-building and National Guard funds.

Democrats were outraged by the move.

“Congress has repeatedly voted in a bipartisan way to refuse funding the President’s wasteful, ineffective border wall,” House Speaker Nancy PelosiNancy PelosiTrump says what he learned from impeachment is that ‘Democrats are crooked’ Bull meets china shop: Roger Stone controversy follows a familiar pattern House to vote Thursday on removing ERA ratification deadline MORE (D-Calif.) and Senate Minority Leader Charles SchumerCharles (Chuck) Ellis SchumerBarr to testify before House Judiciary panel Graham won’t call Barr to testify over Roger Stone sentencing recommendation Roger Stone witness alleges Trump targeted prosecutors in ‘vile smear job’ MORE (D-N.Y.) said in a joint statement.

“This latest effort to steal Congressionally-appropriated military funding undermines our national security and the separation of powers enshrined in our Constitution,” they added.

Congress was unable to override Trump’s veto on the two occasions that it voted to overturn the emergency. It is likely Congress will vote on the issue again.

Rep. Mac ThornberryWilliam (Mac) McClellan ThornberryOvernight Defense: Trump urges Senate to reject Iran war powers resolution | Top Republican says military shouldn’t discipline Vindman | Esper makes change to Africa forces Top Armed Services Committee Republican: Vindman’s ‘career needs to proceed based on his talents and abilities’ GOP Foreign Affairs leaders join pushback against potential troop drawdown in Africa MORE (R-Texas), the top Republican on the House Armed Services Committee, called for renewed congressional action.

“The re-programming announced today is contrary to Congress’s constitutional authority, and I believe that it requires Congress to take action,” he said.

Earlier in the week, Trump dropped his annual request for congressional funding for the wall to $2 billion from $5 billion in previous years, in part because he had succeeded in reprogramming the cash from other funds.

Previous transfers emptied accounts slated for military construction projects such as repairing barracks.



Source link

No comments